Monday, May 24, 2010

Don't Let Reality Happen to YOU!

IT seems that every time I've finally decided to renounce my old ways and finally, finally start anew something miraculous (or close enough) occurs and I am more firmly dedicated to never changing.
I do occasionally wonder if my deification of celebrities is really as proactive/not detrimental to my emotional stability as I tell myself it is. Maybe now that I'm twenty and properly an adult* I ought to start living in the scary real world. A world where NBA stars don't leap out of bed in the morning, high-fiving a dozen orphans and performing a series of complicated aerobatics before gracefully landing on the ground. After all, I don't want to end up a mother-murdering psychopath because I can't remember if the actuality is the clay sculptures of celebrities I made myself or my human family.**
And sometimes I come to another scary conclusion: What if baking, the joy of my soul, my deepest passion, blah blah blah is merely a distraction from the Big Important Plan to do something Very Important and Incredible (and vague!) with my life. What if I never become a famous, famous chef and the billions of people on this planet will never get to know how perfect and amazing I am? What if my True Purpose doesn't even involve being filthy rich? What if it's dirty charity work? But then...something happens and I am reassured.
I might even post the recipe later!

* Kidding! Everyone knows adulthood is a myth!

**The last time I saw Heavenly Creatures the parallels between my life and theirs scared me enough to briefly consider taking down the post-it note halo and angel wings I stuck to my Steve Nash poster. God, I'm sorry Steve! I know You will forgive me, but I'm still sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel! What are you worried about! You're smart and sexy and awesome! And you can live with me if you're ever homeless!

    And please don't say you'll ever make me watch Heavenly Creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't beat Molly and Libbie's reassurance, but you are just so great!

    Oh my gosh, I WANT MORE OF THOSE COOKIES!!! They were amazing!! Yes! Recipe, please!

    ReplyDelete